How to creatively use storytelling and video in book marketing so people can't stop watching with Michael Port and Andrew Davis- Ep #35Feb 01, 2022
How to creatively use storytelling and video in book marketing so people can't stop watching
This might be the most inspiring example of excellent book marketing, you have ever seen or heard of.
Out of all the impressive marketers, I have ever met, my new buddies Michael Port and Andrew Davis are probably my favourites. Or at least, each of them is on my top 2 list.
Michael and Andrew are the authors of the bestselling book 'Referable Speaker', world-class keynote speakers and teachers on how to build a sustainable speaking career.
"You don't get keynotes. You earn them."
- Michael Port & Andrew Davis
Go watch the entire interview on YouTube or listen to the episode here:
Here is some of what we cover in this episode on the Marketing Made Human podcast:
- The key motivating factor to any successful author
(if you watched the teaser video above, you might be able to guess what it is!)
- What it's like to co-write with another author
(watch the 3-minute book trailer below for a taste of that too)
- The powerful breakthrough finding your role as an author
- Using your speaking gigs to test your book material
- The ask-the-buyer-for-stories strategy
- Writing from a place of knowing or vs. a place of discovery
- The necessity of qualified feedback
- Moving from Expertville to Visionary Town
- How the risky road will make you better at what you do
- How focusing on your current customers will fire up demand
- Captivate target readers (and customers) with quality video and storytelling
- The entertainment factor, well-produced movie-style
- Building the expectation for the books ability to change me
- Showing the opportunity instead of telling
- Using the webinar as watch parties in B2B sales
(and the impact on amazon ranking)
- The zero-marketing strategy (the quiet launch)
- The for-my-buddy booster strategy
99% of all 'failed' books do so because of insufficient marketing. After the actual launch, the author is exhausted and lack energy for continued promotion. Or the marketing plan consists of only launch-related promotion.
As you hear on the podcast, these authors use a completely different strategy.
- The silent launch (listen to hear what that's about!)
- Long term video assets
They have created two amazing videos and they are absolute must-sees for you if you are looking to add a long term component to your book marketing plan:
- A 3-minute book trailer video captivates target readers and makes them go check out your book immediately (you can model this for your own book marketing and I am breaking the structure down for you in this article)
- An absolutely genius 55-minutes prerecorded webinar you can use during launch so hoards of high-quality leads will stumble over each other to get the book (and rank up your book significantly on Amazon)
You can watch both of them on the book's website. Then come back to this blog and use my breakdowns of the videos to model your own.
Use my detailed breakdown of the genius book promotion webinar to model your own webinar. You might even consider creating that while stile writing your book as a way to sharpen your message!
And check out the breakdown of the 3-minute book trailer here
Get the book 'The Referable Speaker' HERE.
Michael Port is the NY Times and WSJ bestselling author of nine books including the perennial bestsellers Book Yourself Solid and Steal the Show. After delivering thousands of paid speeches on the world’s biggest stages, Michael and his wife, Amy, built Heroic Public Speaking HQ , a ten-thousand-square-foot performance training center, to develop and nurture the next generation of professional speakers along with CEOs and founders, bestselling authors, business owners, and people leading movements and advancing important causes. More at www.HeroicPublicSpeaking.com.
Andrew Davis is a bestselling author and internationally acclaimed keynote speaker. Before building and selling a thriving digital marketing agency, Andrew produced for NBC’s Today Show, worked for The Muppets in New York and wrote for Charles Kuralt. He's appeared in the New York Times, Forbes, the Wall Street Journal, and on NBC and the BBC. Davis has crafted documentary films and award-winning content for tiny start-ups and Fortune 500 brands. Recognized as one of the industry's "Jaw-Dropping Marketing Speakers," Andrew is a mainstay on global marketing influencer lists. Wherever he goes, Andrew Davis puts his infectious enthusiasm and magnetic speaking style to good use teaching business leaders how to grow their businesses, transform their cities, and leave their legacy. More at https://www.akadrewdavis.com/.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.