How to be more authentic with your communication - Ep #010
Jun 23, 2020
In this episode, I point out the main reasons why you may struggle in your communication and give you a framework for how you can communicate more authentically.
So why is there a need to talk about communicating authentically?
- Fear of rejection sparks a perceived need to satisfy what we think others want to hear
- You don't know or have a plan for what to talk about
- We learned marketing and selling is about showing our best side and only those, hiding the rest
Step 1: Know yourself
- who are you? really?
- how would others describe you?
- list your 3 biggest fears and how they impact your public behavior
- who do you secret aspire to look like or sound like? why?
Step 2: Who do you want to be for?
- how is your ideal client?
- how would your ideal client perceive you?
- why are they staying close to you?
- in which situations are you connecting best with them?
- which aspects of you are corky, different or interesting to your ideal customer?
Step 3: Know your voice
- what is your edge: opinions about industry, strategies, and life
- be intentional: what do you want to be known for?
- define your brand persona
Step 4: Clarity on change
- what are your main arenas for communicating and connecting with your audience?
- are there other platforms that feel more natural to you?
- what do you want to do more of and less of in your communication?
Which are you? I have a tendency to...
- talk over people
- shy away from difficult conversations
- freeze on camera
- talk more than you listen
- focus on your own feelings
- are you good at asking questions
- super empathetic
- I want to be more
- comfortable on camera
- unapologetic myself
- real and raw
- who of those you look to now and admire is really not a model for YOUR authentic communication (stop borrowing from them)
- who might be better role models?
Step 5: Toolbox
- write 3 small real-life stories of defining moments of your journey
- write 3 small real-life stories that reflect your opinions
- define your content buckets: topics you should start talking about
- topics you should give less space or stop talking about
Step 6: Feedback
- your own continued followup
- ask others for feedback
When you are not clear on who you are and who you are not, you cannot be authentic.
'The Personal Brand Playbook' will help you:
- attract ideal clients
- be happy and feel at home in your business
- stand out uniquely in your niche
- become a magnetic communicator
- decide on your visual brand identity
- craft your brand stories
- create your content plan